web analytics

Venice Update

News of Venice, CA and Marina del Rey CA

Baptist Church in Venice Might be Revisited for Historical Status


LA Times columnist Robin Abcarean, who happens to live in Venice, has a column on “The mansionization of a Black church in Venice.” She claims Councilman Mike Bonin has second thoughts about the “historical importance” of the church and might consider possibly revisiting its historical status.

LA Times article.

Another Death on 3rd Ave at Rose

Police find another body on 3rd Ave at Rose. Scuttlebutt has it that it might be an overdose of intravenous drugs … that person had been deceased many days … that person had been sent home but returned to Venice, to drugs.

Man from Iowa Comes to California to Protest

Dustin Menke drove from Mason City, Iowa to protest injustice and to talk about how medicine killed 475,000 people in 2011 to anyone who would listen. He participated in the Venice protest as well as one of the protests the day before.

Dustin said it took him 24 hours to drive from Iowa to California. “I feel the Floyd incident was unjust but I mainly come to talk about the medical profession and their mistakes that killed 475K in 2011,” he said. (Statement has not been confirmed.)”

He displayed his scars on his neck and his back as proof of injury or surgery. He said he was dropped on floor three times during hip replacement surgery at Mayo Clinic, “fracturing both hips and shattering my left completely.”

He carries with him a fact sheet for anyone who will listen. “New York Times has interviewed me,” he said. He plans to stay in California indefinitely. He claims he can breathe better here than Iowa because of lack of humidity.

National Guard Guards “Boarded” Abbot Kinney


Abbot Kinney has two National Guardsmen on a corner that is not boarded up. Most of Abbot Kinney was truly a “board” walk Wednesday morning as those stores not boarded Tuesday morning became boarded and closed Wednesday morning.

People Protest Peacefully George Floyd Death

People protesting in Venice the George Floyd death met Tuesday 8 am until 11 am at Abbot Kinney and Venice Blvd and peacefully voiced their concern by chanting “George Floyd” and “Black Lives Matter.” They marched down Abbot Kinney to Main Street back to Venice Blvd where they stopped to rally on northeast corner of Abbot Kinney.

One person had a problem during the protest and was taken away by an ambulance,.

Venice Has Little Damage in Comparison to Santa Monica

First day of June  … day after looting of Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Santa Monica.  Sirens, helicopters, and a street sweeper  break the quiet of the first June day.  Venice shows little damage compared to Santa Monica.

The iconic CVS Drug Store at Main and Rose had its alarm going Monday morning and the police were there to check the store while manager entered.  The alarm was blasting.  It had been broken into but it was broken into last night too as reported on TV.

Walgreens Drug Store at Lincoln and Washington was broken into last night and cleanup crew was inside.  One gal claimed there was extensive damage.


Harley Davidson on Lincoln had its front door broken but now boarded up.  Bev Mo across the street from Harley supposedly was broken into too.  It was boarded.  Both stores were reported to have been broken into. This is not confirmed.

Whole Foods was boarded.  Whether it was boarded before last night or early Monday is not known.  It was reported that a policeman was shot at Whole Foods.  This is not confirmed.


Abbot Kinney Blvd was pretty well boarded up in preparation or boarded up earlier in the morning than 8 am.   The store at the corner of San Juan and Abbot Kinney was being boarded.  It had been broken into.

Last night Citizens App reported shots fired at 3206 Washington Blvd and Washington Blvd and Elm, which is one block east of Lincoln Blvd.

 

Rose Ave at Penmar Park Gets Special Motion

The encampment along Rose Ave at Penmar Park got a special motion made by Councilman Mike Bonin that would include the encampment in the Freeway Injunction proposed by Judge David O. Carter.

The question is why is this not part of Parks and Recreation under the control of the US Park Rangers?  Is the easement not part of Penmar Park?

The motion will probably go to the the Homeless and Poverty Committee of the City Council.

MOTION

On Friday, May 16, ​U.S. District Judge David O. Carter issued a preliminary injunction requiring the city and the county to urgently find alternative housing or shelter for 6,000-7,000 unhoused people living near freeway overpasses, underpasses and ramps. It is a major push to force urgency into a homelessness response that has been far too slow and far too ineffective.

The court order holds much promise for quick results, but the city and county must not respond by focusing nearly exclusively on encampments near freeways, and suddenly start to drain resources from already anemic efforts to address encampments in residential areas. We must not close our eyes or turn our backs on the thousands of people living on sidewalks in residential neighborhoods, or ignore the concerns of and impacts to those who live nearby.

Even as the City responds to the court directive regarding homelessness near freeways, it must demonstrate that it is willing and able to address the issue of encampments in residential neighborhoods. It should do so by marshaling resources on a pilot program demonstrating quick action on large encampments in residential areas. One area in dire need of such a pilot program is the neighborhood near Rose and Penmar Avenues in Venice.

In a matter of mere weeks, the encampment, on the south side of Penmar Golf Course, across the street from residences, has grown from zero to more than 80 tents. The location, on the north side of a busy street with fast-moving traffic, is unsafe. Moreover, the scores of new tents and accumulated belongings completely occupy nearly one half-mile of a walking and jogging path that was once popular and heavily used by families that live nearby.

The Rose and Penmar encampment is a perfect example of the city’s failed policies. Many unhoused residents report they have been dispersed from other areas, including Venice Beach and Lincoln Boulevard, showing how the city’s encampment policies push people from neighborhood to neighborhood with few housing resources provided. The encampment, which has effectively taken exclusive use of a path that was once a public resource, shows the failure of city policies to protect the public right-of-way.

While the sheer size of this encampment is larger than most and appeared more quickly than most, it is one of hundreds of examples in Los Angeles neighborhoods, where unhoused people are dying, where public resources are being blocked, and where neighborhoods are being impacted. It is unfair to everyone involved – unhoused and housed alike.

It does not have to be that way. The Encampment to Home pilot project in South Los Angeles demonstrated that intense and focused outreach, dedicated resources, and multi-agency collaboration can eliminate an encampment and restore public space by housing and sheltering people, and not simply pushing them elsewhere.

Under Encampment to Home, coordinated outreach teams were able to focus intensively on engaging unsheltered residents, and workers were able to expedite the housing navigation process. Biweekly coordination meetings between the partner agencies allowed for a nimble streamlining of services. And with committed housing resources, participants were that much more motivated to engage.

Importantly, the approach prioritized intensive supportive services, limiting the need to utilize local law enforcement as a primary strategy for reducing encampments.

By every measure, the Encampment to Home project was a success. The project teams were able to identify, assess, and provide housing resources and services to unhoused residents from street encampments. Of the 106 residents housed by the program, 68 moved into two new apartment buildings at El Segundo Boulevard and the 110 Freeway. A year after completion of the project, nearly 93% of those who moved into a permanent unit remain successfully housed.

A similar approach could work at the Rose-Penmar location, using a combination of housing vouchers, shared housing, Project Roomkey placements, and even — temporarily — safe camping locations that could be established in parking lots or on vacant land with hygiene services, food, and social services.

I THEREFORE MOVE ​that the Los Angeles Homeless Coordinator and the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority coordinate with the​ Los Angeles Department of Mental Health, the Los Angeles Department of Health Services, social service providers and philanthropy to develop and implement a Rapid Results Encampment to Home pilot program for the Rose-Penmar area.

I FURTHER MOVE​ that the program utilizes a wide array of tools – long-term housing with services, crisis housing, shared housing, bridge housing, Project Roomkey, and “safe camping” areas with services – to provide an alternative to unsafe and unsanitary sidewalk encampments that restrict access to the public right of way in the Rose-Penmar neighborhood.

I FURTHER MOVE​ that the City Administrative Office identify funds, including HHAPP funds, federal or state COVID-19 emergency funds, or reprogrammed dollars from less effective programs, to fund the program.

 

 

 

Dockweiler Prepared for Homeless Coronavirus Victims

 

 

Los Angeles County lines up Class A and Class C motor homes for homeless coronavirus victims according to gate keeper at Dockweiler State Beach, just south of the entrance to the park that dead ends at Imperial Highway.

North side of entrance is empty and will stay empty in preparation for more motor homes if needed. All roads to park are closed and guarded by police.

No one seemed to know how long they had been there but that they were all empty to be used for housing homeless who had the coronavirus.

County has been queried to verify the usage so story will be changed as info is obtained.

Stewart Oxcars reported that on Motor Ave in a park parking lot near Pico there are hundreds of trailers parked.  They looked empty he wrote.   He queried the Council office but has received no reply,

A representative from the County called Friday to say that Cheviot Hills (Motor) had motor homes as did Westchester.  He said, like Dockweiler, they are to be used to house homeless who have Coronavirus.   He thought that some of the trailers on Dockweiler were being used but not according to the police.

 

 

 

Venetians to Protest at Councilman Bonin’s House Sunday

There will be a new protest in front of Councilman Mike Bonin’s house on  Boise, Mar Vista,  Sunday, 24 May at 2 pm.  Photos are of previous protest and have anonymous photographer.

98-unit for Thatcher Yard to Start Second Quarter of 2021

Thomas Safran and Associates announced that they will start construction of the 98-unit project second quarter of 2021 after they move the “existing” vehicle gate  from Princeton to Thatcher.

The determination, paragraph 14. b. states that “the new vehicular gate shall be installed prior to the issuance of permits for excavation, grading, and site preparation for work proposed on the project site.”  It is pretty plain that it must be the “new” vehicular gate.  Also Princeton is 32 feet wide and Thatcher is 40 or 42 feet, curb to curb, and would certainly allow for car passage.